As I was writing my birthday post, I couldn’t help but think of so many things that I still want to do. I’ve had so many opportunities so far, but I don’t ever want to stay content with the past, but continue to experience new things and challenge myself in new ways.
That’s when I had the idea of making a “Bucket List”, a wish list, for my thirties. I’m focusing just on my thirties cause for me thinking of the rest of my life feels too broad and long-term (assuming I live till I’m at least 80 or so). Giving myself a ten-year time frame helps me focus more on things I may actually be able to do.
I’ve never been one to struggle with regret or the feeling like I haven’t “lived”. Part of my personality thrives on change and new experiences so I often incorporate new things into my life naturally. Whenever I really want to do something, I usually do what I can to make it happen. But, needless to say, it’s fun to have a wish list of things you’d still like to do- some more realistic than others.
Disclaimer: Just because it’s on my bucket list doesn’t obligate me to do it. That’s why I can put things on here and feel no shame if I reach 40 (or 50, or 60) without crossing them off.
Bucket List for my 30’s (in random order)
1. Visit Boston &
Seattle (the only 2 major U.S. cities I think I haven’t been to). Just not on the same trip.
2. Become fluent in Portuguese– before my kids are.
Publish a magazine article.
4. Take a family trip to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Watching a gymnastics event is a must.
5. Go to Brasil for the 2014 World Cup.
6. Ski in Tahoe.
Go on a cruise.
8. Go back to Hawaii.
9. Take my girls to a Broadway show ( I hope Wicked stays around for a while!).
10. Travel to Europe with Filipe.
11. Publish a Bible study.
12. Visit Greece.
13. Go on a missions trip to Africa. And maybe a safari too!
14. Take surfing lessons.
15. Take a trip back to the Dominican Republic to visit our Compassion boy, Josiel (the last time we saw him he was 4 yrs. old in 2004).
16. Hike down into the Grand Canyon.
17. On each of my kids 4th birthdays I want to sponsor a Compassion child in their name (same age/same gender) for them to write to and become friends with.
Get all of my kids potty trained.
19. Visit Foz do Iguacu in South America.
20. Go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.
Spend a weekend in Napa Valley.
22. Go rock climbing.
23. Take a class in pottery making. (always wanted to sit at a potter’s wheel).
24. Spend a weekend at a spa– full treatment included!
25. Have dinner with Beth Moore.
26. See U2 in concert.
27. Run a half marathon (I’m laughing at myself as I write that one).
28. Attend a Catalyst brainstorming session (always wonder what they’re thinking when I get a box in the mail w/ random stuff- like this years gold tooth & Twinkie.).
29. Wake up to snow on Christmas morning.
30. Publish a book.
What are some of your dreams? Things you’ve always wanted to do? Places you’ve always wanted to go?
Do you have a Bucket List?