After months of waiting, today you turned five years old. I don’t think this day could have come fast enough for you. The question, “how many more days until my birthday?” has rolled off your tongue for months. While lying in your bed this morning, you giggled with excitement as I whispered happy birthday into your ear. Moments later you had a puzzled look on your face, “But Mommy, I don’t feel bigger.”
Oh Cailyn, but you are so much bigger.
As I sit here late in the night, and remember the last year, I think just how much bigger you are.
- Your heart for Jesus amazes me. You are eager to know God and experience all that He has available to you. You’re not afraid. Your favorite Bible story is the one when Jesus is crucified. I’m not sure why. I always follow it up with the Resurrection story; the two just seem to go together. I love that you are so fascinated by it.
- You have the heart of a worshiper. You love to turn on praise and worship music and dance and sing to God. You told Daddy that you can feel the Holy Spirit. I believe you.
- You find freedom in expressing yourself and showing your emotions. When you are happy, we all see your joy. When you are sad, we all hear your pain. Your emotions are a window into your heart. I love that I can see what’s going on inside of you. Don’t ever feel like you have to hide them.
- You are content and happy in whatever situation you are in. Whether it’s playing alone, with Efraim, or with Lily, you don’t have much trouble playing and staying busy. You love to play with your babies, barbies, and create your own art projects.
- You like to cook and help me in the kitchen. Sometimes you just watch because you don’t want to get your hands messy, and sometimes you’ll crack an egg or two. But I love the company. My favorite line of yours is, “the best part of being the cook is you get to eat it” (before anyone else). Maybe one day you will have your own cupcake shop.
- You are learning like crazy. You are eager to do homework and learn how to read and write. Sometimes I feel like you should slow down. You started school this year, and you just jumped right in. Now you have your own class, your own teacher, and you own friends. I love that you find so much fulfillment in it.
Cailyn, I love you so much and am so blessed by you. You brighten my days and fill our home with so much laughter. While it’s not easy to watch you grow up, I’m so excited for you. I want you to know that I’m your biggest cheerleader (next to your father, of course). I can’t wait to see what this next year will bring and all that you will learn and experience. I’m committing to enjoy every second with you, so go ahead, keep growing girl.