I’m so excited to finally share with you my latest endeavor.
Last July I began working with our Family Pastor on a new area of ministry we are focusing on at South Bay Church. It’s the parent piece of Family Ministry- the link between the family/home and the local church.
I’ve explained it like this- Kid’s Ministry, Baykids, is an advocate for kids, Student Ministry, Ignite, is an advocate for the student, & Parent Ministry, E3Parents, is an advocate for the parent.
I’ve spent the last several months analyzing, brainstorming, and strategizing with many of our parents and key volunteers as to how to do this effectively. After all, our desire is not to launch a ministry just to create more work for ourselves, but to be strategic (laser-focused) in the few things we do to accomplish the mission of South Bay Church. This is no exception. What is E3? E3 stands for three E’s: Engage, Equip, & Empower. These are the three things we want for the parents of South Bay.
- We want to ENGAGE them wherever they are in their season of parenting and wherever they are in their spiritual journey.
- We want to EQUIP them with helpful tools and resources for their specific season of parenting.
- And, ultimately, we want to EMPOWER them to confidently lead their kids spiritually and begin reaching out to those around them to continue the cycle to Engage, Equip, & Empower.
E3 Parents Values
- We strive to model to our kid(s) how to love God and others.
- We prioritize the needs of our spouse knowing that the best gift we can give our kids is a healthy marriage.
- We intentionally teach our kid(s) to know who God is and what He did for us. (Gospel)
- We discipline our kid(s) for heart transformation not behavioral modification.
- We are prepared & proactive in addressing common parenting challenges rather than waiting for situations to arise.
How do we intend accomplish this? E3 Parents Strategy
- E3 Parents partner with South Bay Church knowing that the maximum impact for spiritual growth in our kids lives will happen by combining two forces focused on the same mission. This is referred to as the Orange strategy: the combination of the home (red) and the local church (yellow).
We will begin to do this through:
- Life Groups– Community-based groups for parents in their current season (to engage) & Parenting claases (to equip)
- Events– Child Dedication Celebration Event to establish a partnership with new parents at South Bay Church and engage them into Family Ministry.
- Cue’s– Have cue cards available from Baykids/Ignite to inform parents of weekly lessons to continue the conversation from Sunday/Tuesdays throughout the week. We will also begin sending monthly emails to families with helpful tips such as, “Helpful Devotionals for Your Early Reader” or “How to Teach Your Child to Pray” or “5 Fun Dates Nights w/ Your Spouse”
- Baykids/Ignite Partners– Have an E3 representative in Baykids/Ignite classes with the goal of connecting with parents and directing them toward a life group and/or necessary next steps based on family need.
I’m thrilled to watch as this continues to take shape. We are still working through this launch and there will be twist and turns along the way. Each family is unique and faces different challenges. My goal is to build a framework so every family at South Bay can find their place to engage in community, be equipped for the journey, and be empowered to lead their family.
“And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again. Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” Deuteronomy 6:5-9